First Presbyterian has helped to found eight daughter or sister congregations, has ordained thirteen ministers, and has supported mission on six continents. The late Jim Gittings describes the ethos of early Presbyterians in North America,
The Presbyterian witness in American was and is a people’s movement
The thing in us that longs for patterns was disposed
To build a courthouse concurrent with each church,
And a barn a mite faster than a house. We were big
On schools, workshops, free trade, road-building . . .
When people wanted to know God’s will for a town,
City, country, state, nation, world,
We usually had an answer ready, had found a pattern,
Right or wrong . . .
Oh, no, we were not always right,
But we always had an opinion and the courage to express it.
1850: Eight settlers form First Presbyterian Church of Champaign
1854: First church building erected at the current site of FPCC
1867: 137 members construct an “Upper Room” brick church
1907: Additions to the church facility
1933: Basement added to the church
1951: Mae Chapin elected as first woman to serve as an elder
1960: Christian Education Building built next to the church
1962: Youth mission trips begin
2000: FPCC celebrates their first 150 years
2007: FPCC launches its southwest campus